Over the past four months I’ve been going to the gym and I have noticed that many of the men there – young and old; slim and not so slim – were chugging down protein drinks. They drink it before they work-out or after they work-out. In addition, the gym even has a drinks vending machine that is dedicated to selling a variety of flavours of a ready mixed protein brand. But are there any real benefits to drinking whey protein? Will protein drinks give me the body of an Adonis or is it just marketing mumbo-jumbo to sell expensive powders? Am I missing out on huge gains? Let’s investigate! Continue reading Whey Protein: Do You Really Need It?
The global fitness industry is worth a staggering €70 billion per year! We contribute to that by buying supplements, sports wear and, most importantly, gym memberships. It takes a lot to get fit! Let’s look at the statistics:
- 140,000,000 people have a gym/health club membership worldwide
(Europe has an estimated 47.67 million memberships)
- The global annual revenue from gym/health club membership is €60bn
(€30bn from Europe)
- The average cost of a gym membership is about €40 each month.
- 67% of people never use their gym or health club
Here at LIIB we like to look after the pennies and want you to do so too. So, ditch that gym membership, save some money and get healthy for free (not free from healthy). I’ve compiled a list of exercise programmes, apps and youtube workouts- all for zero cost!
Free Fitness Programmes
Joe Wicks is possibly the most popular fitness guru in the UK at the moment. With his affable charm and good looks, he has become a fitness marketer’s dream and now promotes his heath and fitness brand through many media channels. He has the voice of Jamie Oliver and the body of…not Jamie Oliver! Although Joe has a number of paid for products (books, apps, etc.) he does also offer his advice for free. I have added a few of his links here to save you time searching the internet. You can check out his HIIT workouts on his YouTube channel, The Body Coach TV and his book Lean in 15 as a PDF which features 10 of his “exclusive” Shape Plan recipes.
Celebrity trainer Russ Howe PTI is among the UK’s most sought-after personal trainers. He has a reputation for being tough but he very effective in achieving fat loss with his training and his no-nonsense teaching style. Sign up for a free membership and receive thousands of hours of workouts, access to all Russ Howe PTI official workout plans plus you can follow his YouTube channel all for free!
“Every Heart and Soul deserves to be Fit!” (or HASFit for short) gives you over 500 free on demand workouts and fitness programs that you can do at home or the gym. If you enjoy bodyweight training you are in luck as this is as the majority of their workouts are based on this philosophy. They are great for home exercise or for when travelling. If you’re a beginner, why not try the 30 Day Low Impact Workout or for those who are much more advanced there is the Warrior 90 Day Workout Routine. HASfit’s team of elite personal trainers provide a wide range of excellent workouts to get you in tip-top shape, regardless of your age. Check out coach Kozak’s 15 Min Tabata Workout below…for no cost!
Tailored for first time runners, C25K® is the easiest program to get you to go from couch potatoes to 5K distance runners in 8 weeks. It’s designed to get just about anyone from the couch to running 5 kilometers or 30 minutes in just 9 weeks. Available as a free download via iTunes and Google Play in more languages than you can think of, there can be no excuse for not giving this free app a try.
“Since 2000, FreeTrainers.com has created free customised exercise workout plans for over 2 million people.” their website boldly states, and those numbers are actually pretty impressive! They will you to lose weight, tone up, gain muscle, increase cardiovascular fitness, increase strength, connect with others through support groups, learn about exercise and nutrition at no cost to you. Make FreeTrainers.com your resource in your quest for a healthier and fitter you.
Fitness Blender started because they believe that fitness should be freely available to all, no matter their income. They also want to ensure that there was a place where reliable health and fitness information was available on the web. The focus on the aesthetic of the body, they felt, had become the primary focus rather than the health of the whole body. Fitness Blender is only able to provide their expertise for free by ad revenue and the generosity of donations made by their users.
Find a Plan
Find a Plan is the world’s best place for free, comprehensive fitness plans, well, that is what bodybuilding.com says but to be honest, if it isn’t, it comes pretty darn close! Identify your goal: lose fat? Build muscle? Completely reshape your body? Here you can find the perfect program for you. All programmes are designed by top trainers and fitness experts and include video instruction, daily workouts, nutrition information and more.
There is an array of choice that is out there on the internet, some good and some not so good. You can spend many hours searching but the sites that I have listed each have a multitude of options and hundreds of fitness and weight loss programmes to choose from, all for free. We can no longer use cost as an excuse not to get fit and healthy.
Masturbation and Corn Flakes are not the usual bedfellows, John Harvey Kellogg is best known for the invention of the famous breakfast cereal, Corn Flakes. But did you know that Corn Flakes were originally invented to be part of a health regimen to prevent masturbation? Kellogg believed that bland tasting foods, such as Corn Flakes, would decrease or prevent sexual excitement and arousal. Erm….no!
Even though many, many men wank themselves to completion, it’s not really something that you talk about and the details are kept private. Old wives tales still persist. Will masturbating make me blind? Will I grow hair in the palm of my hands? Will jerking off eventually drive me insane? Of course, the short answer to all questions are a resounding “NO!”
Clearly, these views on masturbation are without merit but, in fact, the opposite is true; masturbation has many health benefits.
Here are 7 benefits that masturbation has for your health.
1. Masturbation helps you sleep. That’s because pleasuring yourself lowers blood pressure and produces endorphins, the chemicals responsible for helping ease stress and increase relaxation.
2. Know your body. Enjoying masturbation, you can keep connected to your own sexual desires and fantasies, and learn what excites you…
3. Help prevent prostate cancer. Toxins build up in the urogenital tract, leading to disease but masturbation flushes those toxins out of the body, making men who ejaculate more than five times a week a third less likely to develop prostate cancer.
4. Boosts your immunity. Orgasm releases the hormone cortisol. It’s a stress hormone but, in small doses, it can help strengthen and maintain your immune system.
5. Manages premature ejaculation. Men who experience premature ejaculation during sexual intercourse can benefit from masturbation about 2 hours before sex. This enables them to have a longer duration of intercourse before another ejaculation comes on. Also, by taking yourself in hand may help you stretch your love making sessions. Train yourself by timing how long it takes you to orgasm, suggests Dr Nawal. If it usually takes two minutes solo, try for three next time. Or count how many strokes you need to get to your happy place. If you’re spurting after 50, shoot for 60. Give yourself goals. Practice , practice, practice!
6. Masturbation has been used in the management of stress, as it results in release of feel-good hormones, called oxytocin, in the body. It has also been found useful in dealing with depression.
7. Regular flushing of the system keeps semen healthy.